Shelf talkers are promotional graphics commonly made of rigid plastic, or paper cardstock that attaches to a retail shelf on which a product is displayed.
Commonly known as “silent salespeople” or “shelf screamers,” a shelf talkers’ fundamental purpose is to grab the attention of customers at the product’s specific shelf location and inform them of special sales, new products, or highlighted features (among other options).
Types of Retail Shelf Talkers
Shelf talkers can also come in a variety of different styles including:
- Channel Strips – These are POP graphics slide into a channel that lines the front end of a shelf, providing price labels, product information, and simple brand messages.
- Wobblers – Shelf wobblers hang from a shelf’s edge and dangle or “wobble” from the movement of air around them.
- Aisle Violators – These double-sided promotional signs mount to the shelf and stick out perpendicular giving customers a view from their end of the aisle.
How Shelf Talkers are Mounted
Each type of shelf talker is mounted differently because every shelf is different. NGS sees channel strip projects range from 1” high to 1.5” high because there are no standards in retail. Hardware needs to be carefully considered for the particular environment and shelving utilized on. NGS Printing has hardware mounting vendors available upon request so you can decide what is best suited for you!
Retail Shelf Talkers
Shelf talkers aren’t necessarily exclusive to retail, but shops tend to be the most common users of these marketing tools. Here are some of the types of retailers that make use of them and for what purpose:
- Grocers: Are customers looking for gluten-free foods or selections that are highly nutritious? Shelf talkers highlight nutrition facts to help customers find items faster.
- Clothing and accessories: As seasonal patterns change, so do clothing shoppers’ buying preferences. Shelf talkers can promote spring sales events or help parents get their kids bundled up for winter weather.
- Electronics: Technology is in a near constant state of advancement and shelf-talkers can speak to this fact by highlighting state-of-the-art features in personal computers, Wi-Fi, tablets, smartphones and gaming consoles.
- Wineries: There are over 10,000 wine varieties in the world, so connoisseurs have plenty to choose from. Shelf talkers can help customers discover a new type of wine they’ve never tried or direct them to the sections they’re most interested in, such as Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Riesling or rare blends so meals are perfectly paired and collections complemented.
- Sporting goods: Has spring training begun? Is soccer season set to kick-off? Shelf talkers can speak to parents or student-athletes by highlighting sections of the store that are devoted to whatever sport or court that requires all the right equipment and gear.
- Special discounts: From Buy One Get One (BOGO) to 50 percent off, sales events never fail to entice customers. The vivid displays that speak to how and where customers can buy for less serve as a classic function of shelf talkers.
- QR codes: These codes can be a great way to make in-store contests and promotions more fun and interactive for customers. Many retail shelf talkers with QR codes are used in point-of-purchase areas as a final effort to catch the customer’s attention.
Custom Shelf Talker Printing
With so many varieties and sizes available, custom shelf talkers can elevate your promotional graphics. Your shelf talkers can be specifically designed for the type of product you’re advertising. The unique message and design you choose can help capture the attention of customers.
When designing shelf-talkers, keep in mind that graphics should be kept minimal and the use of impactful words will help draw the attention you want. With the shelf talker printing capabilities, NGS Printing offers, the graphics, texts, and varying logos can be made to match your supplied artwork. Shelf talkers are small in size, so choosing an impactful color and copy is suggested.
At NGS Printing, we have the industry experience that brings value and cost savings efficiencies to your projects. Shelf talkers are only one example of our custom printing options. Contact NGS Printing and let your signage do the talking.
Shelf Talkers are constructed most commonly using Rigid vinyl, Polystyrene (HIPS), and PETG.
Shelf Talkers are also known as shelf wobbler, shelf flag, shelf sign, and shelf dangler.