End Caps are product displays placed at the end of an aisle in a store. This location is a highly desirable location positioned facing a heavily trafficked main aisle.
When a customer enters a store, the first thing he or she will see is a multitude of aisles extending out in display, each one packed with products that you, as location owner, are trying to sell. You’ve got the customer through the door, which is an excellent start, but you need to go further. An effective end cap graphic signage display will draw the customer’s eye, compelling him or her toward the product.
End caps, as their name suggests, are placed at the end or edge of aisle shelving. Here is where many retail proprietors place the products that are most keen on selling. Why? There are a multitude of reasons why end cap displays sell well:
- Consumer eye and foot traffic: As stated above, your customers will see the end cap display before anything else in the store if your retail space is traditionally designed. This means that more foot traffic will occur in front of the area as shoppers pass by. With effective end cap graphics, you can draw their eyes to the promotion, making them stop.
- The belief of a deal: Customers are always on the lookout for bargains. By placing emphasis on the end cap promotion, shoppers naturally believe they are getting a deal on whatever product is displayed – especially if the signage draws attention to the low price.
- Items sell quickly: Effective end cap merchandise can sell faster than anything else in the store and this works to your advantage. Customers tend to buy if they believe they are about to miss out on a quality product. This assumption makes end caps effective in moving overstocked or discontinued merchandise quickly, clearing out your retail space for newer products.
- The premier item: If you’re displaying this product so prominently, then naturally the shopper will assume it is among the best in your retail store. Store owners can position products that augment or improve others, motivating consumers to spend more. For example, an automotive parts store can place new windshield wipers in an end cap location, prompting those in for just windshield fluid to consider a larger purchase.
Of course, end caps are not a guaranteed success. Not just any signage will produce improved store performance. With such a highly trafficked location, the last thing you want is end cap signage that doesn’t effectively sell or turns people away. Highest quality printing that features accurate brand Pantone hues, high resolution text, and vibrant backlit colors are hallmarks for end cap graphics. Usually constructed of strong, durable materials such as polystyrene, cardstock, acrylic, PETG or Sintra (Expanded PVC); end cap graphics are unique and the options are endless
When designing end cap displays, NGS Printing recommends:
- Utilize color – Shelving is designed to be pale and fade into the background. However, the product on display likely has colorful packaging. If this is the case, use contrasting color to pop the signage out in a way that complements the display.
- Avoid text-heavy end cap signage – Shoppers don’t have time read a manual in the store. Convey only important, concise information. Using images of the product in use is often more effective in showing use and attention grabbing.
- Stress price – Remember, the shopper likely will think the item is a bargain no matter what, especially if the price is reasonable and affordable.
When choosing a partner to help create effective end cap signage, select a company with a commitment to quality and a long history of over delivering on product lines. NGS Printing has the expertise, experience and the dedication to bring your end cap displays to life using the best materials and technology available.
Constructed most commonly using: Polystyrene, Cardstock, Cardboard,
PETG, or Expanded PVC (Komatex, Sintra, etc.)
Endcaps are also known as: Aisle Displays, End Aisle Displays